Monday, September 25, 2006

Neighbors in the real world

I used to live with my cousin in Quezon City. In all the four years that I stayed there, never had I experienced going out of our compound and had people recognized and smiled at me. I only know the people I know there because I *need* to know them.

Samantalang dito sa Bicutan, two years pa lang ako, I already know people, sometimes even their family members.

I did not go out of the house the whole day Saturday. Hapon na lang because I had to attend a meeting. Paglabas ko, nakita ko yung may ari ng tindahan dun sa tapat. Kausap yung may ari ng tindahan sa tabi. They both smiled at me. Konting lakad pa, the lady who owns the photocopy saw me and smiled. Lakad pa ulit ng konti, sa kanto I saw a friend there – friend na kasi chika na kami. Nagkasabay kami minsan sa tricycle but before that incident every time we see each other we exchange small talks. Yung kuya niya ang official taga-repair ng computer ko, yung wife ng kuya niya ang tutor ng brother ko.

When I got back from the meeting, I bought food dun sa canteen near my house. The owner/cook once helped me arrange my things, nanlaglag kasi. Kaya friends na rin kami.

They are those who make my day a little bit brighter. Though at times they can be very annoying and noisy but that’s life eh, you cannot have everything. They are kind and polite to me naman whenever we see each other. Sometimes even if I’m not in the mood to socialize, once they smile and say, “kamusta?” I end up smiling all the way to wherever I’m suppose to go. And I feel welcome – naku, knock on the wood ha, at baka mabaliktad.

Last night, I realized that if ever I would transfer to another place, it would be somewhere where I would really really want to go and stay. Kasi kung hindi, I would rather stay here kahit gaano pa siguro kalayo ang work place ko.

3 comments:

AP said...

i don't miss them so much but i understand what you mean :) i've got some new "friends" na rin in LB.

AP said...

...and i need to add, minsan kailangan ko na pilitin ang sarili ko umalis. dati kasi, maliwanag na aalis ako. ngayon parang, hmmm. i like it here na ulet. :) pero pero pero.

Jing said...

hay... i know what you mean. pero i like them here. dami ko kwento. ngayon lang nagka kuryente dito. miss ko na kaw. ndi lang dot. bigger than a dot.