Friday, May 13, 2011

True generosity

An officemate gave me a container-full of her home cooked Laing this morning. Being a true blue Bicolana, her Laing is a much longed for viand in our office. When I got the Laing from her house, I gave her a family size Pillows (yummy and sweet). For a while, I had to convince her to accept the Pillows pack. I just told her that it’s for her daughter. Buti na lang tinangap.

I once heard that the true meaning of generosity lies not only in giving but also in receiving. A person should not only know how to give but also how to receive. I have not yet fully figured out the rationale behind this wisdom. But for now, I am guessing that in the heart of generosity there should also lay humility for the act to be complete and not to be confused with pride.

This dance of giving and receiving can be seen in my relationship with Ate Cha. She gives, I receive. I give, she receives – willingly, without hesitation or embarrassment because we both know that the giving and the receiving, no matter how small or how big it is, comes only from the heart. :)




No comments: