Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Little big issue

Whenever I study for my ENRM subjects, hina-high blood ako.

Kasi naman, why would some people, with all the resources the ALREADY have, still want to obtain more?! That is at the expense of our environment!

Nakakainis! Grrrr!

Naalala ko tuloy yung dati kong boss. He’s a known economist in the country. He was also the one who, in a way, influenced me to take up MA in Economics (which, I did not finish – thank you very much :). I’ve been under him for almost two years and I know that he is a good person.

But one day I overheard him talked to one of his students regarding the current economic situation of the country. Maya-maya narinig ko na ang mga katagang (not verbatim):

“I don’t know why they keep on raising the issue on environmental degradation. When our economy’s already in an excellent position, we can worry about the environment. Like in the case of the United States! But right now, allow us to use all the available resources to attain our goal of …”

Hanggang ngayon tanda ko pa! And I am a very forgetful person. But this one… hindi ko yata makakalimutan. It really drove me to the wall.

Nakakalungkot isipin, na pinagwawalang bahala lang ng ibang sector ng lipunan ang isyu tungkol sa kapaligiran. Eh para saan pa at nalikha ang salitang sustainable development?

But these success stories give me hope:


1. Chipko Movement in India – In the 1970s, women and children started practicing the hugging of trees to deter would-be tree cutters in India. “People protected the forest not because someone else was telling them they should, but because, they know they must do it if they are to survive.”
Source: ENRM 221 Module, Chapter 11

2. Yakap Sa Lawa Movement – In 2000, “some ten thousand San Pablo citizens gathered to protest the pollution and environmental degradation of Sampalok Lake. Students, clergy, housewives, religious and civic leaders, businessmen and government workers all trooped out to join “Yakap sa Lawa”, during which they “embraced” the lake, pulling forces together as they held hands in formation around the perimeter of the more than 100 hectare body of water.”
Source: http://www.bwf.org/bk/2k/02/29_02_lawa/lawa.html


~~~

Anyway, you probably found my topics getting weirder and weirder lately. Don’t worry I'll go back to my usual topics of discussion after April 1.

Exam day ko yan. Maghapon.
Need your prayers…
for miracle.
Thanks. :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi do check http://pangkabataan.blogspot.com