Thursday, February 22, 2007

Don't be afraid to ask

Background

I slept at around 8 pm last night to be able to wake up after an hour or two to study. You see, my brain functions well in the wee hours of the evening/morning. So at around 10 pm, I literally had to drag myself out of the bed to start working on several assignments.

At around 11:30 pm I was exhausted... of staring at my computer. I haven’t finished anything yet. I decided to rest :) – wala pa nga nagagawa, rest na agad! Anyway…

I turned on the TV and saw Bo Sanchez preaching. That was my first time to watch him preach and I would like to share with you what he imparted. The topic was really appropriate and timely and he delivered it very well. I just hope you won't get bored reading this.

Ok, let’s start? Game!

Bo’s topic for February 21, 2007: “DO NOT BE AFRAID TO ASK”

As a prelude to his discussion, he mentioned that on the first day of his first visit to the US, as an invited speaker, he ate biscuits alone during lunchtime. Without knowing that there was a banquet prepared for speakers, he sat in a corner and ate his “baon”. Luckily, on the second day, one of the hosts found him in his corner (eating biscuits) and invited him to join the rest of the honored guests to the banquet. He was so “nanghihinayang” because he was unable to join them on the first day. Because he didn’t know. Because he didn’t ask.

As children of God, we are given the opportunity to ask God for what ever we wanted and needed in life. That is how great our God is. He hears our prayers and if the time is perfect and according to His will, He also provides the answer. However, we do not practice the art of “asking” properly.

Have you ever had the feeling that you are afraid to ask something from Him? I did and still do sometimes. Nakakahiya kasing humingi kay Lord eh. Baka naman sabihin na niya, sobra na ako. Feeling ko kasi, He has given me a lot and yet I am still asking for more. BUT! – take note of the “but” – that is very wrong and Bo provided us with some reasons why humans are afraid to ask.

So, kindly read on:

Reason number # 1: Ignorance
People are afraid to ask because they do not know that they CAN ask and that God allows them to ask.

I would like to quote Bo on this:
Be specific when you pray! Be specific with what you want! The universe is waiting for you to be specific! Have a goal. Have a deadline. The Universe responds to those who know what they want!


He gave out examples:
1. When single people ask for a husband/wife they just pray: Lord, I want a good husband/wife. But the word “good” is very vague! Be specific! Do not go and settle for kung sino-sino lang. Ask the Lord to give you someone who is faithful and kind and etc.
2. When you ask to receive financial blessings, be specific. Don’t just say, Lord, I want “more” money because having an additional 25 centavos or 1 peso is also more than what you have before you ask for “more”.


Reason number # 2: Low self worth
For this part, Bo referred to 2 Kings 2:9-10:
When they had crossed, Elijah said to Elisha, “Tell me what I may do for you, before I am taken from you.” Elisha said, “Please let me inherit a double share of your spirit.”

He responded, “You have asked a hard thing; yet if you see me as I am being taken from you, it will be granted you; if not, it will not.”


According to Bo:

We humans, especially us Filipinos, have very low self esteem. As in very low that if we are to be Elisha, we would probably say, “Naku eh wag na lang, nakakahiya naman!” If forced, we would probably end up saying, “Sige na nga, kahit katiting lang ng blessings na ibinigay ni Lord sa iyo, ok na sa akin.” And to think that Elisha asked for a double of what Elijah had received.


Come to think of it, no one is deserving of God’s love. But we receive all the wonderful blessings we are enjoying now because He loves us so much! That is why we call it grace! All we need is ask, and it will be given to us.

Reason number # 3: Fear
Bo said:
People are afraid to ask because, they are afraid to be criticized by other people. They don’t want to look like arrogant and ingrate.


Reason number # 4: Pride
I guess I don’t have to quote Bo on this part. The word will explain itself.

Reason number # 5: Wrong belief
Bo explored this topic by saying that we were raised believing the following:
1. God is stingy.
The truth is: God is very generous! Look around you and witness his generosity!
2. Following God entails hardship and suffering because God is present in our trials and pains.
The truth is: God is also with us whenever we are happy and experiencing His blessings.
3. The mere act of asking is wrong!
The truth is: God is waiting to be asked. We should ask to receive.


And finally, Bo asked, “How should you ask?” and he answered: with expectancy!

In Mark 11:24 Jesus said:
So I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it and it will be yours.


He said:
Ask like a child. Because children, when they ask for something, expect that it will be given to them. They will find ways to receive what ever it is that they ask.


Yun lang po. :) I hope you feel the same way I did after hearing these things.

It’s already 1:53 am. Wala pa rin ako natatapos. Well, I finished this… so sige na nga! May natapos na ako! Off to work on my assignments again! :)

Have a great day ahead.

7 comments:

AP said...

once ko pa lang natyempuhan sa TV si Bo. Just last month lang 'ata. I didn't like him na since then... Pero kahit I don't like Bo as mush I used to like him before... as long as he inspires people, peace pa rin kami :)

Jing said...

:)
naalala ko si anna. dun kinukwento mo na umiiyak siya kasi she doesn't know how to ask the right question.

omlet said...

thankies! this reminded me.. need to work on my list again.. i lost the one i made before.. huhu

Jing said...

ako nga din! bigla ko tuloy hinanap list ko :)

AP said...

...gusto ko mabasa ni mona 'to... kasi, nisabihan ko rin sya gumawa ng list... :D emilya, alala mo list ng nanay mo? saka 'yung list ko na na-receive ko naman?:D (gawin bang forum ang blog ni guada?:D)

omlet said...

yeah.. and i am SO working on my list... kaya, sabihan ang lahat.. try NOT to miss the TINY DETAILS! (haha, "list campaign" ituh! ;o)

ay, guading! if you haven't seen "the horse whisperer" yet.. damay muh na sa movie list muh! ;o

Jing said...

hihi! ang dami comments! yey!

emily: ay talaga? maganda din yun? lagi ko na lang nakikita book ng "the horse whisperer" sa book sale. basahin ko muna before ko watch. :)
have you seen Chocolat? ganda din yun. :)

arlene and emily: hala! major revision ang list :) go! go! go!

:)