Wednesday, January 11, 2012

When I grow up...

Little girls would often talk about their dream of becoming a princess, which more often than not would only be realized during the celebration of their 18th Birthday or their wedding day. I never dreamed of these things. As a matter of fact, my 18th birthday was organized by my mother and my cousin. Me, I just arrived the night before the celebration. I don't even want to attend weddings - nagugutom kasi ako sa haba ng program during the reception. But I love the wedding ceremonies. From the moment the groom enters the church up to the part where the officiating priest would say "you may kiss the bride" I love every minute of it. For me, that is not just the union of two souls but of three individuals – the man, the woman, and God – that is being witnessed by the people closest to the couple. After each wedding, I would often wonder what the couple would look like after say... 5 years or 10 years or even 50 years when all the romance is gone.

Early last year, while Jopet was reading his new comics and I was playing Bejeweled in my mobile phone, he said “Pag tanda natin, siguro ganito pa rin tayo, no?” I replied “Yeah, most likely.” A few weeks later, he sent me the Married Life drawing. Once in a while we would talk about our life in the future. Without being cynical, we are open to the fact that as couples grow older romance fades away. Oh, we are not yet married but we know that when that time comes, (hopefully) we will stay and keep our promises to each other that is to have and to hold.

Anyways, in relation to my opening paragraph, what I wanted when I grow up is not to become a princess nor to be a fairy. I want so much to become a mother. I want to have children of my own. When we attended our pre-CANA seminar at the Center for Family Ministries-Ateneo de Manila University (CEFAM-ADMU), our counselor assessed that I am a parent-child. I was not shocked when she told me that I just didn't know that there is a term for it pala. I blame Inay, Taluts, and Mama for it. Nah, in truth, I could never blame them, because in terms of taking care of their kids, these three are the best-est. That’s it, these are my dreams: to be the best mother to my children, the most caring and loving wife to my husband, and an obedient daughter to my God. And everything else will follow.

No comments: