Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Lessons on stress and homeostasis

Today is the death anniversary of my cousin, Jeric. Please for his eternal repose.

~~~

I went back to the doctor yesterday for the result of the TMH-1 something test to see if I have goiter. I do not have it. Yey!

So I just asked her about the cause of my palm’s excessive sweating and backache (which occur almost every week if not every day). She told me that sometimes, or rather in most cases, these are caused by stress.

~~~

During our first meeting in ENSC 201, our Faculty-in-charge talked about the ability of nature to heal itself, on its own, without any help from the outside. The term she used was “homeostasis.”

Hyperdictionary defined homeostasis as the ability of an organism to maintain a constant internal environment though regulatory mechanisms that compensate for a changing external environment.

For example, if a person or an organism is subjected to a stressful situation, its body produces or releases hormones to prepare itself for a physical response appropriate for the situation. I think this is simply called as the coping mechanism of the organism.

Different organisms have different coping mechanisms. Humans, when in stress sometimes indulge themselves in different activities such as sports, work, etc. Some even develop or get involve in new activities to relax themselves thereby achieving internal equilibrium.

~~~

The doctor did give me a lecture about stress. She told me that I should prioritize what is important rather than what is urgent. Also, to minimize stress, I should look at the positive side of life and be thankful for what I have. To quote: “you are very lucky and very blessed! You have a family who, I assume, loves you. You have a nice job, while other people don’t have any. You seem well fed (hehe! Natawa ako dito kasi taba-taba ko na! ;). You are blessed!” She even gave me an article she usually gives as a handout to her students at UP Manila. But most importantly, she made me smile.

She’s one of those passersby who made an impact. An angel in disguise. Thank you Dr. Buenaluz.

~~~

By the way, it’s already august. And I don’t like it a bit. Too many memories to deal with.

~~~

Yet I know that all shall soon be well. So kakanta muna ulit ako…

Too many broken forevers, too long has been this stormy weather
No more rainbows after rain, and no more healing from the pain

Yet all shall be well, all shall be well
You'll see, all shall soon be well
All things, all men, all the world shall be well

Broken wings that cannot mend. Are we afraid to dream again?
The world is full of passing faces. Our hearts are bruised in many places...


I bought the "Something More: Songs for Skeptics" album last night. Every single song, bull's eye. Tagos sa puso. During the past few months, I've become both a seeker and a skeptic.. But He has been very faithful.

2 comments:

armikatrina said...

wow, binili mo pala yung album. beautiful no?

Jing said...

sobrang beautiful :) Thank you.