Thursday, October 14, 2004

Scarred people are beautiful...

(My teacher in Religion gave this poem to me during my senior year in high school. I remember giving him a copy when we were just/still friends. He was heartbroken then from his first love. He told me he shed a tear when he read it. Now, I’m the one who’s weeping. Life can really be comical sometimes)

Man speaks :
i've seen a number of good movies, Lord
like Romeo and Juliet.
The love of young people, at least in this movie,
is beautiful ...
so simple,
so total,
so uncomplicated!
they seem so natural...
so free in their emotions...
unrestrained in their actions.

I wish I could be like that, Lord
But I can't be!
Why is it so?
I've been hurt, Lord!
I have trusted and been betrayed many times.
I have loved and received nothing in return.
I have tried hard to care and failed often.
I have shared my secrets and heard them whispered to others.
I have been warm and received a cold shoulder.
I've been through it, Lord!
I have fallen on my face.
I have banged my shins.
I've been bruised!
Look, Lord! I'm all covered with scars!

The Lord speaks:
Maybe you have not yet understood enough!
Maybe you still haven't learned that human life is like that.
All saints are scarred.
Young love isn't the highest form of human love.
The highest love comes from scarred people.
i know many people who stop loving
so they won't be hurt again.
But those people who do start over again,
who continue despite of all,
who leave themselves open to the possibility of hurt again,
These people are able to love in a gentle way...
a more understanding way...
a richer way.

Man responds:
I think I know what you mean, Lord.
I've met people like that and
knowing them gives me great courage.
The greatest people are those who continue to love with all their scars.
I like scarred people, Lord. They are beautiful.

No comments: