Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Stars

When the stars are twinkling, an angel awaits your prayers.
~Kathryn ScheinFrom "Angels Around Us"

~~~

My interest in stars started when my grandmother died. It was my cousin who introduced them to me. Every night, during the wake of my lola, he would point out the big dipper and we would stare at it until our neck ached. From then on, every night, whenever I have the chance, I look up to locate the big dipper.

~~~

Star light
Star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may
I wish I might
Have the wish
I wish tonight

This was later on followed by an incident where my Inay (my other grandmother) told a story about a little girl who saw a falling star and made a wish that came true.

~~~

One of St. Ignatius of Loyola’s deepest, most moving prayer experience was simply contemplating the stars. Looking at the night sky filled Ignatius with God’s powerful presence... (Sun Cell, 2346)

As I grow older, stars became more than just a “wishing” star. They have become a symbol of hope, that whenever I see them in a very dark night, I know that they would continue to give light no matter how far I perceived them to be.

~~~

I still believe that a wish would come true whenever one sees a falling star.

3 comments:

armikatrina said...

My favorite constellation is Pleiades :)(uh-oh, how to spell that?). My friends and I used to watch the stars complete with Philippine star atlas. I miss stargazing...

AP said...

that's why you never ask your roomie why she always goes out at night? i don't just smoke up there, y'know that! =)

Jing said...

Armi, lucky you! big dipper lang ang kaya kong i-identify :)

Arlene, eh di ok lang pala na you go up "every" night???? ;D hehe joke! i know naman po :)